The trio from World Bank - Mr. Xavier Furtado (World Bank Country Representative and Special Envoy to SADC), Mr. Dino Leonardo Merotto (Lead Economist) and Mr. Victor Sulla (World Bank Senior Economist) paid a visit to Statistics Botswana (SB) on Monday, 25th June 2018.
The purpose of the visit was for the envoy;
• To determine ways of delivering on World Bank’s support to the development of Botswana Jobs Strategy,
• Discuss the availability of business data for Botswana (e.g. business register and the quarterly earnings & employment survey and or any survey of the informal sector or householdbased enterprises)
• Deliberate on the possibilities of using census data to analyze; changes in employment types and occupation in Botswana across wards and over time.
• Discussions on poverty analysis
• And to deliberate on the next steps of RAS work on continuous Botswana Multi-Topic Household Survey (BMTHS)
When presenting on the development of Jobs strategy Mr. Merotto who is in charge of this program globally outlined how job diagnostic works and data needs required to complete the analysis of the strategy.
“We are still formulating a Job diagnostic tool for countries worldwide and development of strategy is a consultative process which is country and context specific, therefore it will take time to implement”, Mr. Merotto said.
For his part, SB’s Statistician General Dr. Burton Mguni reiterated the importance of job creation and assured the visiting contingent of SB‘s unwavering support to the cause. He also advised that the job strategy exercise will have to involve The Botswana Institute for Development Policy Analysis (BIDPA) as the institution’s objectives is in line with the Botswana Job strategy needs.
SB’s Manager of Labour and Poverty Statistics Mr. Moffart Malepa assured that data collection would be customized to meet World Bank’s standards. Also SB Manager of Sampling Frame Support - Mr. Thapelo Maruatona promised the World Bank representatives that they will get data that is up to date on any given census that SB has undertaken.